14 “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." Mathew 5: 14-16
A GOD-GIVEN MISSION
Calvary Chapel Newport News exists to teach the good news of Jesus Christ to the lost and to the found. (Acts 2: 42-47)
Unique mandate: Teaching is our niche! CCNN is committed transforming lives and maturing believers into the image of Jesus Christ.
- We teach how to Reach Up in prayer and worship by deepening your knowledge of Jesus Christ and your understanding of God’s Word during our Sunday morning and Wednesday evening services. At each service, we offer a time of praise and prayer, and we teach the entire Word of God: verse-by-verse, chapter-by-chapter, and book-by-book.
- We teach how to Reach In and mature in Christ by participating in our educational classes and using your spiritual gifts to serve others.
- We teach how to Reach Around by building relationships through participation in Small Groups. Small Groups provide you the opportunity for discipleship and spiritual growth through accountability, fellowship, study, and support.
- We teach how to Reach Out to the world around you by equipping you to move beyond yourself to show God’s love to others and to share the Gospel both locally and around the world.
WHAT IS GOD UP TO?
God began to work in Pastor Tony’s life as a young Marine in Okinawa Japan where he revealed to him that He would one day be a pastor. Pastor Tony holds to the belief that CCNN is a simple formula of the right man plus the right location at the right time. He believes that before God calls a man, He prepares a man. That preparation was 10 years of education and ministry experience before God established the ministry of Calvary Chapel Newport News through Pastor Tony in October 1994. Since its inception, Pastor Tony has lived a life of faith and explicit trust in God and the success of the ministry is a direct result of the sovereign move of God’s Spirit. Over the past 20 years, God has indeed blessed CCNN to be a growing and thriving multicultural fellowship representing over 34 nations that faithfully serves our Armed Forces, our community and the world.
Here are some of the examples of the life-changing impact of CCNN:
- Teaching the gospel of Jesus Christ with age-appropriate biblical teachings to an average of 2500 adults, youth and children each week.
- The radio ministry, The Word Made Plain, is broadcast to thousands of people across the United States and around the world on 21 stations. It is not uncommon on any given weekend to have visitors from places like California, Georgia, Florida, New York or Ohio who have heard Pastor Tony on the radio and come to visit CCNN while in the area.
- Overseas mission efforts through teams or financial support to Africa and Panama.
- Financial support to 41 orphans at the Morning Star Orphanage in Kenya.
- Ministering to thousands who are homeless, elderly, recently released from prison, families in crisis or children in need through our community outreach and benevolence efforts.
- Military ministry supports our deployed troops through care packages.
- Calvary Chapel Christian Academy opened its doors to the community in 2013 offering several Preschool programs and a before and After School program for school-aged students through fifth grade. The Academy has grown to 50 students and is now offering a Kindergarten class.
- In 2014, over 100 people expressed their commitment to Christ by accepting Christ, rededicating their lives to Christ or being baptized.
- Over 300 people in the life of CCNN growing together in small groups.
- 516 members are currently actively serving in ministries at CCNN.
- Explosion of financial generosity over the last 4 years when many churches have experienced a decline – our church family increased their giving for ministry operations over 30% during that time with an increase of over $175,000 from 2013 to 2014 alone.
The ministry challenges we face are challenges that many churches wish they had:
- CCNN has experienced substantial growth over the last couple of years leading to insufficient seating capacity in our sanctuaries for our weekly worship experiences. We are currently at 4 Sunday morning services. The number of services is physically demanding on our Senior Pastor. We are also landlocked and hindered by limited parking capacity. We do not want people driving away from our church because they can’t find a seat in the sanctuary or a parking spot.
- Without expansion, the ministry will become stagnate or even decline causing us to miss opportunities to “Teach the Good News of Jesus Christ to the lost and the found,” the reason we exist!
- We are growing beyond the staff infrastructure. We are staffed to adequately support a ministry of 1200 in average worship attendance. The problem is we are already twice that size! This means that our staff is not only challenged to keep up with current needs, but it also means that future growth will be difficult to sustain without key staffing additions.
- Similar to staff infrastructure, we need increased engagement by our members to serve in ministry roles to support Kingdom work.
- It has only been a few years since we completed construction on both phases of our Student Ministries building, which houses our Children’s Ministry (Calvary Kingdom) and our Youth Ministry (Ignite); however, they are already close to maxing out their spaces.
- Debt servicing limits the full capacity of God to use the ministry at CCNN to impact the lives of the men, women and children in our community and beyond.
VISION AND OPPORTUNITIES
- Expand campus to a new location – ONE CHURCH, TWO LOCATIONS; allowing access to a new community where lives can be transformed by the Gospel thus having an eternal impact on our community, nation and world.
- Larger sanctuary to reduce the number of services and increased parking.
- Expand children and youth ministries to a world class level.
- Continue to expand the educational aspects of our ministry – add grades to Academy, elementary and secondary school, Bible college, etc.
- Increased opportunity for engagement by our members through volunteer service. An opportunity for servant-leaders to pour out what has been poured into them.
- Bring on key staff positions that would optimize our operating effectiveness and give us expanded capabilities as a ministry.
- Increase in financial resources available to invest in the lives of those who are hungry, hurt, in need or feel abandoned.
- The Eustis Campus expansion will be a catalyst for revival in our congregation as we see God moving to REACH 757 through CCNN.
WHAT ARE THE PLANS?
- Phase 1 – Purchase church facility 1.5 miles from our current location
- Phase 2 – Renovate the new property for modified move in
- Initial expansion of our ministry as one church in two locations will occur via a bank loan
- Phase 3 – Build-out the new property completely to capture the vision given to Pastor Tony for CCNN. The full cost is anticipated to be approximately $7 million dollars, which will take 5 years to complete. This campaign will be part of our efforts to build out the new campus. We pray that there will be an explosive move of God through this campaign, which will allow us to complete it sooner.
WHAT IS YOUR ROLE?
- We need your time – your time to serve others, lead others in small groups, mentor other believers, share the urgency of this vision with others
- We need your talents – get plugged into an area of ministry that can use your gifts. We are one body made up of many parts and it truly takes all parts working together with a united vision to function properly.
- We need your treasure – The Bible says, “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” Join us on this spiritual journey and commit to invest in these efforts.
- We invite you to pray and imagine how you fit into God’s plan and then commit as we trust that He will do immeasurable more than all we ask or imagine to Reach 757!